Getting Things Done

Sometime around a week ago, I was sitting at my desk at home shuffling papers and trash and lamenting that it seemed like that's all I ever accomplished. My dad said, "Pip! You need to read Getting Things Done!" So I borrowed his copy and read it cover-to-cover with great zest and enthusiasm.

Let me first say, this is a great book. It guides the reader to being at the top of his potential productivity. Some of the points that stood out to me are:

  • Your mind is horrible at short-term storage.
  • Unfulfilled obligations (even to yourself) cripple your productivity, creativity, and genius.
  • The next action is a very important concept.
  • Don't overcomplicate things.

Since I finished the book Wednesday afternoon, I have been working on implementing GTD (the fitting acronym for David Allen's "system") both at work and at home. I have started cleaning out and off both desks (not a modest task at either place), gotten my email inboxes to zero, given myself permission to let go of some projects that had realistically been long-dead anyway, and done a personal brain-dump (I'll do one for work this week).

I certainly have a ways to go. The biggest task is going to be getting a digital system set up that is cohesive and transparent. We use Lotus Notes at work, I carry a Windows Mobile smartphone, my primary personal email is through gmail. The biggie will be getting Notes to cooperate. I'm looking into it but any ideas are welcome.

As the days/weeks/months go by, I'll be posting on my experiences under the tag GTD.

2 comments:

  1. No suggestions on the Notes issue, but Windows Mobile syncs with Microsoft Outlook which checks gmail accounts.

    I'm interested in this book though. I'm going through a series that sounds similar and is teaching cleaning, decluttering, and organizing... altho surprisingly enough, not because of my own habits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the calendar and to-do lists are much more important to me than email - I actually like the work/personal email discrete from one another. We're upgrading to Notes 8.5 within the next couple months so hopefully some functionality has been added.

    ReplyDelete